Friday, March 18, 2011

Toasted and Not-my -Style Thank Yous :)

Heya people,

Ok, so I have been MIA again. The internet connection at home was down for more than 2 days and we had a problem in the family. Still praying that everything's alright very soon :(.

This is going to be a longish post... I hope you do read along though ;-) 

I managed some crafting though. This first card is called the 'Toasted Thank You' card!


The colors are from the Play Date Cafe Challenge #73... gorgeous colors (and thank you Shalini for describing them to me when I couldn't access the net):


I'm also submitting this for Your Next Stamp challenge - make it sparkle.

The sketch I used was an adaptation of a Papercrafts Magazine sketch (I don't know where but I think most bloggers had been posting about the cards that didn't make it; and I got the link/sketch from one of those). I love sketches anyway ;-). I added the kraft label frame to a die cut lavender sheet; then adhered the circles; and then embossed the whole thing (that seems to be my latest fascination....). Then I rubbed some clear ink over it and added embossing powder and heat embossed over the toaster (he he...). You'll need to look closely to see it shine I guess ;-) 

Now to the name of my card... well, I stamped the sentiment and added embossing powder; I was trying my best to use a tong to hold the little piece over the toaster but it fell right in!! {GULP}; I took it out before it was too late but the poor thing was almost toasted :-p


My next card isn't my style; and I was inspired by dozens of such cards that I've seen all over the place:



I've tried stepping out of my comfort zone (layers layers and more layers is what I like and do most of the time though I'm still finding my style!)... these gorgeous blooms are from the Hero Arts set that Emily sent for me. I love the versatility of this set. I'd tried a simple one layer card earlier... and this one is with some stamping, coloring and  paper piecing. I have not been able to take part in most of the challenges I love this year... This card is my entry for:

1) Michelle's challenge on Yvonne's blog - Get out of your comfort zone
2) Your Next Stamp challenge - make it sparkle (ok my red flowers are sparkling!)

That's it from me...

Smita

23 comments:

  1. What a toast to serve up hubby!! Love those circles and CAS card is sooo superb!! now I want that set!! Love the paper piecing! Superb!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both cards are so pretty Smita.....just looooooooove the second one......I also can't make a CAS card......all my cards have to have layers n flowers and ribbons......
    PS: I used to emboss over a flame and have burnt the paper in the process many times :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. both cards are incredible, i love one layer SO much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are lovely Smita! :)

    I love CAS cards - they are much cheaper to mail! ;)

    Thanks for playing along with my guest Michelle's challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is simply GORGEOUS!!!! What a thought!!! Kudos & Wishes :)

    Ash...
    (http://hastkala-oceancihope.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous cards.. .I love heart the second :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. very pretty cards - simple but effective -and I agree with you its good to step outside of your comfort zone every now and then

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your friend did a good job describing those colors to you, since you didn't have Internet access. You nailed it! Love the embossing. THanks for joining us at the Play DAte CAfe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are both fantastic cards, Smita! :o) I especially love the simplicity and fun flowers on the second card -- great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Smita, I'm blown away by both these cards! I'm so proud to see you creating such amazing clean and simple cards. This may be your style after all! Those are gorgeous PDCC colours and you nailed the colours. I really love seeing you use that Hero Arts flower set. ;) I also hope everything is okay with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow! Lovely cards! :) With so much going on, you managed to get these out?!?! Wow woman! :) Still chickening out on embossing for now. So....yay to all of you with toasts! :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW!!Both of them are really pretty<I especially loved the 2nd one a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a pain it would be without the internet, Smita! But you sure did make two beautiful cards! Can't believe you found such perfect colors from a description rather than seeing them. WOW! Just gorgeous and I see you exercised your Cuttlebug. LOVE it! Your plain and simple one layer card is beautiful too, but I know what you mean about being out of the comfort zone with that. Great work and I hope your family problem is quickly solved. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both cards are yummy! The first has such gorgeous texture and you did such a lovely job with the colors! The second makes me smile with the happy flowers and CAS design! FAb! Thanks for joining us at The Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Smita this is my favourite card . I absolutely love it, everything is just perfect with this card

    ReplyDelete
  16. They are both fabulous, but I've gotta say that I think stepping out of your comfort zone works for you because I love that second card! It's so colorful and it all works together. Great job playing along this week at The Play Date Cafe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely cards and how fun that your friend talked you through the colours. I love both cards! Thank you for playing along with us at the Play Date Cafe this week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this! Beautifully colored flowers and wonderful twine accent!Thanks for joining us this week at the Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Both are GORGEOUS but goodness, the clean and simple is my absolute fave. Just stunning and definitely my style ;) I'm glad you're trying out different things! It's the only way you know what your style is or know what you like and don't like :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Smita,
    there is a little something for you on my blog. Thanks so much for the comments you leave on my blog, they mean alot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh how pretty!! I love the flowers!! Love how you
    colored them!! Thanks for joining us at WNS!!
    Hugs,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such fabulous colors!!!! LOVE your design! Thanks so much for joining us at YNS!

    ReplyDelete